Friday, November 18, 2011

Veganism can be healthy...but...

Vegan food can be delicious--really.  The creamy cauliflower soup I made on Monday was very nice.  Here's the link if you want to try it.  (Note: I used veggie broth instead of water in the recipe)  http://thehealthyfoodie.net/2011/11/03/creamy-cauliflower-carrot-and-brazil-nut-soup/The chocolate pumpkin loaf I made for a recent potluck lunch passed scrutiny from non-vegans with flying colors.  http://www.theppk.com/2011/10/chocolate-pumpkin-loaf/
Last night's pasta with tomatoes, mushrooms, lemon and thyme was a favorite of mine before I even was vegan.  (Note: I don't use as much oil as she calls for in the recipe and added in tomato this time for a change--and of course I skipped the cheese) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/linguine-with-lemon-garlic-and-thyme-mushrooms-recipe/  So in many ways, this healthy change has been very easy...but...

...it takes a lot (I mean a lot of preparation) and that I was not prepared for.  Here's what I mean.  While dinner has been a carefully constructed meal each night.  My lunches and breakfasts have basically disintegrated during the week.  Breakfast has gone from toast with peanut butter and fruit spread, to a half a banana in just a handful of days.  Lunch has gone from hummus and veggie wraps, to some butter lettuce with a few kidney beans on top or just a handful of triscuits.  Hardly the healthful change I was hoping to make with this new style of eating. 

So is it laziness or is there something more sinister here?  This experience is making me realize that I need to address some of my long term issues with food.  I have battled an eating disorder in the past.  In college, I began working out three hours everyday in order to feel normal.  It wasn't until later in life that I realized that was a form of an eating disorder.  Now, with all these new food rules, it is very easy for me to restrict myself in a way that is not healthy either.  So, this weekend, I am going to try to plan ahead and make a week's worth of quick grabable lunches that are ready to go in the fridge. I am hoping that will help kickstart me out of my general ambivalence toward food and eating right now.

1 comment:

  1. Jen I like sliced cucumbers, they are crunchy. The crunch typically satisfies me. Can you eat bruschetta, tomatoes w/galic, basil & oil on vegan bread (omit the parmesan)?

    ReplyDelete